Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Song Writing Blues

I'm writing a new song called Sometimes and playing around with recording it on Garage Band. Usually I write happy songs, but I've been a little moody lately so it's sort of a sad song. It turns out happy in the end, though.

I'm learning to add drums and bass and piano to it. It's fun, but I don't know yet how to cut and paste when I make mistakes, so I have to sing and play it over and over again every time I make a mistake or don't like how it sounds.

I got a new book on song writing that's teaching me techniques for chords, formatting, lyrics, etc. I love the whole creative process, but it's draining and I get caught up in it and can't stop sometimes. Hours can pass without me even realizing it.
Brook White
Wish I could be that way with the housework and other stuff I need to do more. I'd get a lot done and maybe catch up on the laundry and dishes!

A couple weeks ago I attended a Sound Check Series and heard Brook White (American Idol) speak and sing a couple songs. It was great. I even got a hug from her when we almost bumped into each other. Maybe some of her talent will rub off on me!

2 comments:

  1. In GarageBand you can hit COMMAND+T to cut your clip where you'd like, then simply select the portion you want to move, copy or delete.

    You can also create a new track and hold down ALT while dragging a section you'd like to copy.

    If you just want to record over a section, click at the beginning of the selection you'd like to replace, hit RECORD, and stop it when you've finished the part you dubbed over. Garageband will also give you a little arrow on the clip that will allow you to select which take to use.

    I can't wait to hear what you've been working on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess. You make it sound so easy. I'll have to try your suggestions. I have recorded over stuff before or cut it out and recorded new stuff, but I haven't done multiple tracks and cut and pasted before.

    ReplyDelete