Sunday, June 12, 2011

Saint George Getaway/Song Writing

Last week, I took off with my husband on a business trip to Saint George for a few days. I needed a break. We left our kids alone for the first time and our oldest daughter was in charge. Somehow they survived even though they said there was no food to eat (I left them dinner in the crock pot). I just hadn't bought a bunch of snacks for them before I left.

One day I called and my oldest daughter hadn't eaten because she couldn't find the can opener to open a can of Chili.  Oh boy. I really need to start having my kids help me more in the kitchen so they can learn to fend for themselves. My youngest daughter, who always has money from babysitting, bought them all a bunch of junk food on the last day so they didn't starve.

Meanwhile, I lounged around the pool, wrote, went out to eat, read, etc. Heavenly! No cleaning, etc. . . My back hardly hurt at all. I worked on some songs I've been hired to help write. LDS artist April Meservy, who helped produce/record one of the songs a friend and I worked on, likes and wants to record it on one of her albums, but it's up to those who we wrote it with to decide.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Too funny about the kids. Start having them cook dinners one night a week :)
    That is so great about April wanting one of your songs!! You are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend! Congratulations for getting your song on April's album; that's fantastic! I guess I'm copying everything Lillian already said, but I'm happy you got some days out, some reading in, and some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, April wants to record the song, but those I'm helping cowrite with want it for their album and will make the final decision on what to do with it, but it's nice that April liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could claim the song as my own. Several of us worked on it and the one who recorded it came up with the idea and a lot of the lyrics, but my friend and I tweaked it and came up with some lines they really liked and kept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Alice. I'm trying to get up to speed on Blogging and participate on your site. So, bear with me. I may need some coaching along the way. My Blog is titled, RemRen, at Google.

    My personal philosophy is that all people have innate talents and abilities to develop and share. In this vein, I've enjoyed following your work to date. Look forward to continued reminiscence on several matters, such as family, society, the arts, personal achievement, culture, writing, etc.

    One thing I particularly enjoy is the cultural aspect found within some of your work as an author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post and your daughter sounds like my oldest niece for the most part she won't or can't even fix her own drink or food.

    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sherry and Elizabeth. My daughter actually helps me make dinners and makes her own sometimes. I just thought it was funny when I was gone how much my kids realized I do for them when I'm around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing about the kids! I was raised a similar way! My husband was raised making sunday dinner on his own, so our parenting versions are totally different! thanks for participating in the giveaway too! wilsondev(At)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got to take what I'm sure was a much deserved break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm giggling about not being able to find a can opener to open the can of chili. The only food I eat from a can is soup but those cans come with a tab :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ^I was thinking the same thing as Chen Yan Chang :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL that's hilarious. I can relate because once I tried to stab open a can when I couldn't find the can opener... that was fun lol. Glad you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete