Last week I attended the 2013 Life the Universe and Everything fantasy/scifi writer’s conference. I thought I'd share the notes from a few of the panels I attended. The first panel I went to was on writing first person POV. The panelists were Larry Correia, Robert Defendi, Daniel Friend, Clint Johnson, and Rachel Ann Nunes. Here are a few of the points that stood out to me:
- First, figure out how your character would talk
- Use consistency with your character and don’t have them act out of character
- Make a list of all the character traits your character has: mannerisms, etc. . .
- The best way to show a character is through description
- Other good ways to show character are through their emotional reactions, active thinking, and actions.
I hope these are helpful. Do you have any other tips for writing in first person? I'd love to hear them. Next week I'll post more notes on other conference topics.